Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"Skin in the Game"

C.A.R.E. sent out an action alert today, I guess to whip supporters to turn in their letters to the Judiciary. It's the same mumbo jumbo they've been pushing since they started down this road, so I don't feel the need to republish it. If you're interested in their take on things, please visit their website.

However I did want to address this statement:

"The opposition to this legislation is coming from many people who have no skin in the game. Adoptees from other states, birthparents from other states, adoptees who already have their records, are not the ones who should be influencing this decision."


Excuse me? Listen, I am a California adult adoptee and my records are sequestered by the state. This legislation would directly impact me. I have as much right as any of the C.A.R.E board to influence this legislation. Try and stop me.

How many of the folks serving on the C.A.R.E. board are reunited adoptees or reunited first parents? Does C.A.R.E. feel they aren't the ones who should be influencing this legislation? Shouldn't they recuse themselves from legislative lobbying on AB 372 since they "have no skin in the game"? Over the years I have met hundreds of California adoptees who have successfully obtained their information outside the legal framework. I have met a handful that have not. This is reality, folks.

Of course all California adoptees have an interest in legislation that changes their relationship with the state in which they were born and adopted. C.A.R.E. doesn't think so, if you have your information, SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP.

Listen, this is legislation that will change social policy. Every citizen of California has a stake in it. Certainy every adult adoptee born in California has a stake in it. Putting aside ideological differences, my main criticism of C.A.R.E. has been that it has not performed its primary duty to educate the community about the impacts of their proposed activities. It hasn't even tried. And statements like this reveal their contempt for the community that they purport to represent.


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I know :(

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have skin in the game and I'm sick and tired of ignorant people trying to rip it off.

I don't want a birth certificate with my father's name blacked out because I can't find him. My n-mom didn't even know where he went, so the State of California sure wont be able to find him. What kind of f'd up "open records" is that? Are non-adoptees who have fathers who don't acknowledge them treated like this? HELL NO. The state tracks them down for DNA tests and gets them to pay child support!!!!

Jean, congrats on your awards at the AAC conference. Now go take them home and shove them far, far away because you are NOT a humanitarian. You are a self-righteous, ego-maniac. You want glory by passing a pitiful excuse for an "open records bill". In the process, you are screwing me over and I'm not enjoying it. You are NOT my type and not even the right gender for me.

Go home, hug your award and make a documentary. Stick with what you're good at. Stay out of MY business.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home