Friday, February 27, 2009

Assemblywoman Fiona Ma Opens the Door

I'm not going to spend a lot of time kicking on C.A.R.E in this post, but it's not because my leg is getting tired. C.A.R.E is pretty irrelevant to the process now, for two reasons.

The first reason is that Assemblywoman Fiona Ma, who introduced AB 372 on Monday as a placeholder bill, has communicated through her staff that they are open to conversations with stakeholders in the issue of adoptee records access. That means any and every body. So if you're interested, like I am, in a bill that recognizes the rights of adult adoptees to access their records of birth, contact her office, linked here, and let her know. You can also let her know that you won't accept anything less than unconditional access for all California adult adoptees. If you're a California resident, contact your Assemblymember and State Senator. If you don't know who they are, start here. Standard Disclaimer here: be respectful, be concise, be calm, be reasonable. I guess you don't have to be any of those things, but if you're not you'll end up in the Moonbat File...




The second reason that C.A.R.E. is irrelevant is their own message on AB 372, which is:

"A word about reading a bill: Legislative language, and the language of statutes, can be confusing. The language is based upon existing legal code which encompasses thousands of pages that are all interrelated. The change that we are requesting will allow adult adoptees over the age of 18 access to their original record of birth. The text herin is written by the legislative counsel for the California Assembly and is written for lawyers, not lay people. What's important is that it creates a legal right for adult adoptees to get their birth records."

Try reading this aloud in a Bobby Jindal voice to get the full effect. "You are too dumb to read our bill." No mention of the process. I actually asked a couple of attorneys on Tuesday to read AB 372 and they both told me it was a confused and purposeless bill, so I figured it was a placeholder before I heard the official word from Asm. Ma's office. So if you have a question about this bill, again, contact Asm. Ma's office. They will at least be accurate in communicating the process.


The bottom line is that the door has been opened to the process, time to elbow your way in...

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is a really good post in a way, a really lame post in a way---I mean continuing to pick on CARE which believe me I am no member of, or fan of the way they relate to adoptees.

I don't like being patronized, you know that. CARE has patronized me, so has CalOpen.

They have shown themselves to be two of the same ilk.

The same unwillingness to dialogue, which can only be out of fear.

I know you have influence in the CalOpen.

I know that you recognize that their fear of me, doesn't seat well with their ability to lead.

Leaders are not cowards. I am not very scary.

In fact if you met me in real life, I would hardly be noticeable.

I know a lot of adoptees suffer from self-worth issues, I don't.

I think I am valuable and efficient.

I know you have called me a pernicous waif, which I thought was kinda cool in a supervillian kind of way.

The reality is I am a nearing middle-age, boring woman.

CARE got this bill introduced despite your hassling.

CARE, I don't trust, because they are as specious as CalOpen. As patronizing , as insulting.

I don't know what is going to happen.

If this bill gets passed clean, well then I will by you a straw-hat and a crow-pie.

In the mean time, I will do what I can.

Principle before personality, is an A.A. saying and is so profound.

Why aren't you on our side?

10:32 PM  
Blogger Marley Greiner said...

Thanks for keeping this focused on Realpolitik. There is way too much emotion and sentiment floating around this bill. I know it's hard for some people to accept, but we are chump change, especially in a state like California.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Why aren't you on our side?"

I am sure they are.
My guess is they sometimes forget they aren't on planet alt.a, where the geometry is non-Euclidean and contempt is a warm hug.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home