Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Tweets 'n' twits....

I am totally luvin' Twitter! I can post bon mots to the Funhouse from my iPhone and keep the rumor chamber throbbing with tid bits I pick up from across the vast blogosphere... My tweets are in the sidebar to the right... Don't let the fact that nobody's following me keep you from subscribing, cuz it's only going to get more interesting as AB 372 winds through the sausage maker...

One rumor I heard was that AB 372 is a "placeholder" bill, an innocuous and essentially meaningless piece of fluff designed to hold a place until a REAL bill is introduced. This makes a certain amount of sense; the deadline for introducing a bill is this Friday, February 27th, and if C.A.R.E and Assemblywoman Ma haven't compiled the bill they want, then introducing a placeholder is a good alternative. But AB 372 is kicking up a poop storm in Adoption World, with the moderate reaction being "WHAT?" and the immoderate response being "HORSESH*T!"


Folks are writing strongly worded emails and letters to Ma, organizations are revisiting their decisions to hook up with C.A.R.E... and that's just a reaction to the bill dropping... Wait til things really get rolling...

If AB 372 is a placeholder, then C.A.R.E could have saved itself and its author a lot of grief by saying so up front. There's no shame in that game. "We're submitting this bill that admittedly doesn't go as far as we want in order to save a spot for the bill we will support..." Something like that. And warn your coalition partners so they don't have to face angry villagers carrying torches...



AB 372 was introduced, for all practical purposes, in the dead of night, with no fanfare. No press conference, no media alerts (that I've seen), an announcement on the sponsoring group's website that was a day late and a dollar short... My favorite rumor so far is that a national adoption advocacy group may endorse it... I'm waiting to hear what the adoption attorneys say...

Good times! Stay tuned!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, communication is vital, I have asked Jean Strauss why she didn't communicate that.

She hasn't told me, I hope she does.

1:31 PM  
Blogger BB Church said...

Better yet CARE could communicate it on their website. They control their own message, and if they say, "This is the bill", then folks can be forgiven for taking them at their word.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home